15 June 2005

Neither law nor order

OK, so it's late and I may be a bit hyper-sensitive, but I have to say I was disappointed tonight in one of my favorite "catch-occasionally" shows, Law & Order. Well, the second one of the night. (Helps to have them on while laundry is going). And since I'm up, I need to say something about it.

Political agendum #1? US Special Forces were encouraging opium production by a shady character so they could ostensibly catch some more terrorists. And oh, the outrage! How could the US military support people who are doing illegal things? Opium, of all the evils! Oh, wait -- drug use is a victimless crime, right??? Which liberal agenda are we promoting here? I'm getting all confused.

Political agendum #2 presented as fact -- granted, it came from the "bad guy" that the "evil Special Forces guys" were encouraging -- was that Afghanistan's only potential for cash crops is opium, so that's why all the poor good people were happy that the Taliban was gone -- they could make money now that Big Bad Corporate-Conspiracy America was facilitating their sin crop.

Puh-LEEZE.

As a "pending" military wife (won't pretend to that honor until DH is in BMT...*sniffle*), I'm "pretty T.O.'d" at Law & Order. Casting aspersions on our servicemen and blaming our country's facilitation of freedom for illegal activities in Afghanistan because they can't find anything else wrong with the country does NOT fly in this house.

So I guess we're back to only turning on the TV for reruns of House.

And Happy Belated Flag Day, BTW! :-)

No comments: